Be Our Guest
Welcome to Crater Lake’s Backyard™ and the friendly communities of Chiloquin, Rocky Point, and Fort Klamath.
We’re located just south of Crater Lake National Park, along the north side of Upper Klamath Lake, along the east flank of the Southern Oregon Cascades, and between Highway 97 and Interstate 5. We’re only 5 hours south of Portland and 6 hours north of San Francisco, with airline service into nearby Medford and train service into Klamath Falls. Amtrak is offering 15% discount on fares into Klamath Falls into July 2015. Come for a day, a week, or longer and experience over 500 very special square miles of lakes, streams, marsh, wilderness trails, wildlife, history, recreational opportunities, and resorts.
- The largest freshwater ecosystem west of the Great Lakes with rivers, streams, and lakes for kayaking, canoeing [paddling], and fishing [fishing].
- Part of the Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway All American Road leading to Crater Lake National Park [attractions].
- Gentle hikes and challenging wilderness treks [hiking], country roads and multi-use trails for biking and horseback riding [cycling].
- Sunset Magazine’s #1 birding destination in the West [birding].
- Local festivals, celebrations, and rodeos [events].
- A country quilt shop and artists who create everything from fiber arts, to stained glass and jewelry, to pottery. [arts].
- Large & small resorts, B & Bs, motels, lodges, cabins, campgrounds, and RV parks [lodging].
- A 1/8 scale railroad with free Saturday rides, the site of an old fort with a “real” cavalry guide, a logging museum and pioneer village, and the Best Little Bookstore north of San Francisco and south of Seattle. [attractions]
- Sled dog kennel tours with an Iditarod musher [lodging].
- Rich autumn colors and waterfowl hunting opportunities and over 350 miles of uncrowded winter trails [seasons].
- Five local sites on the National Geographic Geotourism Map.